2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ pounds sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes in tomato purée
1 (6-oz) can tomato paste
¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped, divided
½ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 tsp kosher salt
¾ tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ lb(s) lasagna noodles
15 oz ricotta cheese
3 – 4 oz creamy goat cheese, crumbled
¼ cup Parmesan, grated, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
1 lb(s) fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large (10 to 12-inch) skillet. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, the basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 15 to 20 minutes, until thickened.
3. Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with the hottest tap water. Add the noodles and allow them to sit in the water for 20 minutes. Drain.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan, the egg, the remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
5. Ladle 1/3 of the sauce into a 9 by 12 by 2-inch rectangular baking dish, spreading the sauce over the bottom of the dish. Then add the layers as follows: half the pasta, half the mozzarella, half the ricotta, and one 1/3 of the sauce. Add the rest of the pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, and finally, sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of Parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling.