300 g Dungeness crab, picked meat, sourced fresh
80 g crème fraiche
15 g chives, minced
30 g lemon juice, freshly squeezed
4 g salt
4 ripe apricots
4 lipstick radishes or Easter egg radishes
20 leaves nasturtium (if unavailable, watercress leaves)
60 g Castelventrano olive oil or a high-quality buttery olive oil
5 g kosher salt
1. Source Dungeness crab from a reliable source already picked from shell. Crab should be delicate, sweet, and fresh, no fishy odour or taste. We get ours from Lobster Man on Granville Island.
2. Source fresh, ripe apricots, split them in half and remove pit.
3. On a high heat grill brush halved apricots with olive oil and season with a little bit of kosher salt. Grill both sides of apricot for 30 seconds per side, to impart a nice charred flavour and leave gill marks on the fruit. Cut length wise into quarters and reserve.
4. Using a mandolin, shave washed heirloom radish very thin (transparent) and place in ice water until ready to plate.
5. In a mixing bowl combine crab meat, crème fraiche, chive, and mix to combine. Adjust seasoning to desired taste using lemon juice and salt.
6. Place crab mix in a neat pile in the centre of a plate or rimless bowl.
7. Neatly arrange grilled apricot, shaved radish and nasturtium leaves around the crab.
8. Drizzle each salad with your chosen olive oil.