2 cup olive oil, for frying
24 stalks of cardoons, cleaned, boiled and dried
4 salt-packed anchovies, rinsed, boned, scaled and minced
½ cup fresh goat milk ricotta
¼ cup fresh pecorino, grated
⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley, mint and marjoram
Pepperoncini, chopped, to taste
1 lemon, grated zest only
½ cup flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
1 cup egg whites
1 cup milk
2 cup freshly grated breadcrumbs
Lemon wedges, for garnish
1. Preheat oil in large frying pan to 350 degrees F.
2. Cut the cardoons into bite-size lengths and line up half on a work surface.
3. In a mixing bowl, gently combine anchovies, cheeses, herbs, pepperoncini and lemon zest.
4. Put a small spoonful into centre of each cardoon and cover with remaining pieces.
5. Dredge pieces in flour and then egg whites, and finally breadcrumbs.
6. Fry until golden brown.
7. Drain on paper towels.
8. Garnish with lemon wedges.